In a recent Business Insurance article, the Top 25 Workplace Harassment settlements were listed. According to the article, workplace harassment and discrimination complaints have cost employers more than $356 million in lawsuit settlement payments and judgments for monetary damages. Sexual harassment is the most common type of workplace complaint leading to the employer paying a sizable settlement or jury award.
Sometimes We tend to think, “It only happens in California”, but that is far from the truth. While not all EPL claims are this significant, frequency and severity are on the rise. EPL claims have increased 22% this year over last for our clients alone!
As written in the article, here are just the top 10 workplace harassment/discrimination lawsuit settlements and judgments from the past 12 months:
1. Mercy General Hospital (Sacramento, CA) will pay $168 million in a sexual harassment lawsuit judgment.
2. ArcelorMittal (Buffalo, NY) will pay $25 million in a race discrimination lawsuit judgment.
3. Dr Pepper Snapple Group (Chicago, IL) will pay $18.3 million in an age discrimination lawsuit judgment.
4. YRC/Yellow Transportation (Chicago Ridge, IL) will pay $11 million to settle an EEOC race harassment and discrimination lawsuit.
5. Tesoro Refining and Marketing Company (Los Angeles, CA) will pay $8.5 million in a disability discrimination lawsuit judgment.
6. Cook County (Chicago, IL) will pay $7.6 million in a race discrimination lawsuit judgment.
7. Lennox Industries (Richardson, TX) will pay $6.2 million to settle an age discrimination lawsuit.
8. Aaron’s Inc. (Fairview Heights, IL) will pay $6 million to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit.
9. Sears (Sacramento, CA) will pay $5.2 million in a race discrimination lawsuit judgment.
10. AT&T (Kansas City, MO) will pay $5 million in a religious discrimination lawsuit judgment.